<VV> While it's apart..! 1964 convertible

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue May 29 08:29:04 EDT 2007

These three seals can be replaced easily without removing the drivetrain.

The selector shaft seal originally had a lip that can be caught with a
screwdriver to pry it out. Replacements do not have the lip, so drive a
small screwdriver into the seal and pry it out.

The axle seals can be removed with a proper seal puller, or a large
screwdriver inserted through the axle hole. Pry in several places if
they are stubborn. Usually they pop right out.

Gasket between trans and diff replace only if it is leakng.

Most important is the input shaft seal in the differential snout. Also a
new retainer or if the old one looks good, pry it open slightly for a
snug fit in the snout. A deep socket works good for installing the seal
and retaining ring.

Check the pilot bushing for wear using the input shaft. Replace if
necessary. Or replace "just because".

Frank DuVal