<VV> RE: Optimal motor

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed May 30 13:36:33 EDT 2007

<snip>
Hey Ya'll,
   I have a question. I'm about to purchase a '66 or '67 fully loaded Monza
with a 140hp engine in it and powerglide trans. What is the gas milage of
this motor while running at optimal levels? I'm going to try and create a
fuel efficient 140 by matching components.

Charles   5/30/07 <unsnip>

The key to fuel economy is to get the engine rpm as low as possible to
reduce engine friction and lower engine vacuum. The 140PG engine is ideally
suited to this end since it already has a low-rpm, high-torque camshaft.
The PG transmission isn't the best choice, but if you elect to keep the PG,
be sure it has 3.27 gears.  With the combo as it exists, simply disable the
secondary carburetors, (and cap the fuel lines), crowd the timing until it
just barely pings once and a while. Also make sure the cooling system and
thermostats are working properly. A failed thermostat will cause increased
fuel consumption for several reasons.  Make sure the tires are relatively
normal (narrow, 24.5"+ OD), the carbs have normal jets (49/50), and you
might want to get a Dale distributor.

I have a '67 PG 140 Monza that I've converted to an optimal transaxle combo
that wasn't available except for a few months in '63.  This is a wide-ratio
4-speed with 3.08 gears. The car is fabulously driveable - better than any
other Corvair I've owned - and that's quite a few. It accelerates very
briskly and it's quiet at speed. In town it gets mid 20's, highway mpg is in
the high 20's. It's a perfect match for the PG140 engine's characteristics.
(The car is a loaded 4-door).  I took first overall in a Corvair economy-run
with 39.8 mpg (or was it 38.9?) This number included doing all the tricks
though, not real world economy.
Craig Nicol