<VV> cylinder heads for reliability

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Nov 12 23:49:06 EST 2007

Shortle:

You have to match the heads to the pistons. Well, maybe....

What you call a flat combustion chamber is called "open chambered" by
Corvair people. This would be the 68-69 smog head shown on Clark's
catalog page 1. This open chamber design usually uses domed pistons to
get the compression right. But I may be all wet here. Maybe just the 110
hp uses the domed pistons.

The 65 head with the step has the flat surface.... Some people here
flycut the head gasket surface smooth with this step flat surface to
help pining problems. But on a 95? Probably not necessary.

OK you late model people with more experience on smog engines, what are
the answers to the above questions?

Frank DuVal