<VV> POSSIBLE SPAM:RE: VV Digest, Vol 34, Issue 34 comment: Valve Seats

james rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Wed Nov 14 20:25:50 EST 2007

All:  I do not remember valve seats being an issue 20 years ago, except
maybe on race cars.    Given Warren's observation, is there a preventive
solution?  Letting the engine cool down before shut off?  70 deg garages in
the winter time to keep everything warm?

I do not know what the current process and procedures are for valve seat
replacement.

If I remember correctly, Jim Schardt, before doing any of his head
modifications, use to take the seats out, heated the heads and seriously
cooled what I presume were oversize seats and press them in with 0.010"
interference.

Jon Brakke, who was the last person to SCCA race Stingers competitively,
said he had his head re-heat treated before doing anything else.  I assume
he took the seats out first.

Are there any shops doing this to street heads today?  At what cost?  What
heat treat specifications?

Warren, Seth, Bob H and Bob C., got any info?

Historically Yours,
			James Rice

Message: 5