<VV> Dumb Things

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Sat Nov 17 15:58:58 EST 2007

Smitty Says:  I will never be able to remember the whole 40 years worth but along with the forgetting the cyl baffle plates, and fan, and fuel lines, I managed to get a 4 sp rebuilt and installed in the car before finding that it wouldn't shift.  Also have at least twice poured 4 qts of new oil into engines with the drain plug sitting alongside the pan of dirty oil underneath.  Don't ask how many times I tried to start an engine with the rotor sitting in the spare tire well.  A classic really stupid one was mounting an Early 4sp tranny to the diff and it only lacked about 1/4 inch of going all the way.  I knew the spline would slip as soon as I put a little pressure on it so I installed the bolts and tightened a little here and a little there until it popped and went right on.  As I was installing the transmission/motor mount bar I found where the 1/4 inch came from.  The front transmission bearing was sticking through the little aluminum plate on the front of the
 transmission.