<VV> RE: '07 convention DVD

Tony tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Nov 28 20:18:25 EST 2007

At 05:40 PM 11/29/2007, Rick Norris wrote:

>I will say in my video experience editing is a time consuming
>tedious task, especially if you also shot it. By the time it's done
>you are sick of looking at the scenes over and over!
>I have spent a lot of time editing tapes and then when I saw my
>master I didn't like it and started over!

Agreed.   Doing this sort of thing with consumer electronic video
hardware is tedious and time consuming.

Now:

If you have a commercial editing console with the right stuff hooked
to it, editing video is a piece of cake.   I used to do this sort of
thing for a living, when I was editing TV commercials and promos etc.
and with the right hardware you can really cook.   Inserts are easy
and can be placed precisely and, with time code to use as a guide,
assemble edits can be strung together in the right places without a
lot of juggling and chancing "eating" too much off the tail end of
the last segment, which means going back and re-editing the previous
assembled segment... and most home video hardware is only able to do
assemble edits, not inserts (clean ones, anyway)... and even then the
placement of the segments is hard to get right without time code...
as well as having to deal with the footage getting stepped on each
time another edit is done/inserted/assembled... makes the finished
product coarse and rough to the eye unless you have *very* good
quality video to begin with as well as excellent playback
hardware.    The real medium is commercial digital video editing,
even faster and more convenient, no worries about stepping on the
footage etc.

Thus:    If you know someone who works in a production house and has
an editing setup, consider making friends with the guy.     Or, haunt
Ebay and buy a couple of better quality 3/4" machines and a console
(getting cheaper as more and more houses go to volatile memory
storage digital editing and dump their tape stuff).

tony..