<VV> broken bolt relief

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Thu Nov 29 20:43:51 EST 2007

They sheared off anyway. So,
Please, no speeches on how stupid I must be to break off that many bolts- it

Quit beating yourself up!  You were in a "rigged game" from the git-go!
EVERY original suspension bolt in my Lates has show evidence of significant
hydrogen embrittlement, up to and including sheared heads at significantly
lower-than-spec torques, some were sheared when I bought them.  The only way
I have been able to remove them is to anneal them "in-situ" with an
acetylene torch (heat'um up bright yellow and hold for about 2-3 minutes
while making damn sure you don't set the car on fire!....let them cool,
heat'um up to a medium red and let them cool....then heat up to a dull-red
and remove).  FWIW, I replace ALL of the original suspension fasteners on my
Corvairs with new Grade 8's.

As for the ones you've got busted....maybe I'm just a pyro, but I too have
had my best luck in these situations burning them out rather than drilling.
If they've been hydrogen embrittled enough to bust off, you ain't drillin'um
without diamond or carbide anyway!

John