<VV> Front suspension rebuild advice

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Oct 12 21:24:39 EDT 2007

aeroned at aol.com wrote:

>OK, now you have the suspension off the car, how do you hold it to get all of the parts off?
>I'm really interested in hearing how you get the lower control arm off without the spring shooting it across the shop,
>really small spring compressor?

Yes, I use a spring compressor with the crossmember in or out of the
car. I do not trust a floor jack with that responsibility. Too easy for
it to go sliding out and the spring to follow. Of course the all thread
and nuts works good also on Corvairs.

>After you get it all apart and clean up the parts and paint them, how do you put it all back together without scratching up
>the pretty parts with the cross member sliding all over the work surface?

Blanket? Carpet remnants on the work bench? Foam cushions from a junk
sofa? No, wait, those are for working on your house roof to prevent
falls. Remove upholstery first, just use the foam rubber. If I can work
on freshly painted bumper covers and other parts assembled into an
assembly off the car, a crossmember will be no challenge.

Frank DuVal