<VV> Proposed Autocross rules Revision

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Oct 15 17:28:01 EDT 2007

About a month ago, Warren LeVeque sent out a note to the  members of the
Corsa Autocross committee, noting that it has been a few years  since the last
rules revision. Those years have taken a toll on tire  availability for stock
classes and opened up many new modifications for the  "prepared" classes.  The
members of the committee looked through the  rules with an eye toward both the
current situation and the future or Corvair  autocross.  While contemplating
the Corsa Autocross/Slalom rules and  considering possible changes, we should
keep in mind the two goals of these  rules. First, the primary goal is to
produce a good Convention autocross, both  for Corsa, but mostly for the competitor.
Second, the rules must be fair and  enforceable, so that competitors know
where they stand and can easily identify  the rules which apply. To increase the
satisfaction with the Convention  autocross – which should also increase
satisfaction with the rules when used for  local events as well – we must provide a
place for any Corvair to run, no matter  what the preparation level. Note
that this means a place to run, not necessarily  a place to WIN. It is not
possible to provide a class for every particular  Corvair to take home a trophy. We
should also not lose sight of the fact that,  for most competitors, this is
the only autocross they will run this year run  under these rules. If they run
elsewhere, they will likely be running under SCCA  Solo rules or other local
club or council rules. In addition, the greater the  preparation level (quantity
level of modifications, not quality level) to which  the car is built, the
more likely that it is being used for other competition.  This means that in the
street classes, we need to evaluate modifications on the  basis of the type
of car which will be casually competing, because he brought  the car to the
event for additional reasons. In the faster classes, the cars are  most likely
being run at other events and under other rule books, here our  function should
be a equitable spread of modifications, with an eye toward the  SCCA rules. Of
course, the SCCA rules are always going to be a moving  target.
Our rules have previously split the cars into three  categories. Stock cars –
altered street cars – non street cars. The altered  street cars were broken
down into two sub categories, a little bit altered and a  lot altered. – But
still street legal. The non-street legal category was also  divided into two sub
categories, #1 (CC) Corvair bodied and powered, #2  (SC) Corvair bodied or
powered (another sub-division divides SC into  Corvair powered or Corvair
based). Another point to consider in both the street  and non-street classes is
tradition and vintage considerations. Between SCCA and  additional vintage racing
organizations, several preparation levels exist for  the race car classes and
the street tire classes. Vintage racing class rules are  frozen in some time
period, closely allied with stock rules, ironically. Current  SCCA altered
stock rules are pretty fluid, with several possible street tire  classes available
for the Corvair. I looked through the Corsa National  Autocross Rules again
before beginning this review. There are a bunch of small  revisions needed. To
address the big changes, I suggest the major revision  of one class and the
addition of two new classes.  I will describe the  general thrust of the changes
here, I hope this will move you to a complete  review of the proposal. I will
gladly supply anyone who requests it a copy of  the Microsoft Word document.
Just send me back a request at _sethracer at aol.com_ (mailto:sethracer at aol.com)
. The description  below is just an overview.
Street Stock Class  Changes:
Tires for the stock-type car classes, we added,  after the 13” tire callouts
in the book, an allowance for 14” &  15 wheels, with a 6" max wheel width,
specifying a max cross  section, 185mm and a minimum aspect ratio, say 70 series.
Within the 180  wear rating, folks can run whichever tire or wheel they want.

Improved Stock changes:
Many of the "point" values were altered to remain  consistent with the actual
impact on autocross performance. Newer engine  development was addressed,
with one item, greater than .060" overbore, becoming  a ticket to Street
Modified. Other modifications were further defined.
Street Mod changes;
A new class, SM-3 was added. SM-3:  Corvair based Engine, Corvair based body.
 Stock Corvair car wheelbase. Safety rules apply. Street legal
lights/horn/wipers  required. Stock size (height/width) Front/Rear windshield required. (No
rear  requirement on a convertible) DOT tires are required. Otherwise – Run
what you  brung!
Prepared class suggestions
Major revision of Class CC – to Class CC-1 Addition of Class CC-2
First, Class CC-1
Revise the CC class rules to reflect the vintage  preparation of Yenko
Stingers and Corvairs per SCCA rules of 15 years ago.  Engines limited to semi-road
racing prep levels – Rochester  Carbs, 3-barrel Webers with 32mm chokes,
bolt-on (4-runner) center mounted  4-barrels. Displacement limited (max .060
overbore). Basically the SCCA ITA  preparation rules with race tires allowed. Seven
inch wheel width maximum, 15  inch diameter maximum. In autocross, a vintage
Stinger on 13 x 7 wheels and  slicks would be competitive with an IT car on 15
x 7 wheels on slicks. Only the  old weight removal rules would apply. All
steel bodies with fiberglass deck lids  allowed, real glass front and rear. Inner
door panels required, except where  rollcage interference exists. Un-bolting
stuff, virtually no  cutting.
New Class CC-2:
Corvair bodied, Corvair powered on any tires. Safety  rules only. Front and
Rear window required. Otherwise run what you brung!
Minor changes to Specialty Classes
SC-1 Corvair bodied cars with other than Corvair  engines. (Must be other
than Corvair engine cases)
SC-2 Corvair engines in other than Corvair Chassis.  (Must be other than
Corvair Chassis)
So this would add two new classes to the mix, revise a  current class and
clean up a few nits.
End of descriptions.
If you have  any interest in the possible changes, contact me and get a copy
of the Word  document. If you find any mistakes or errors, or just want to
disagree with  the current proposal, feel free to post to VV or Fastvairs. Be
specific but  please do not respond to this E-mail with an argument before
reading the actual  proposal. I have already addressed several concerns of the other
committee  members and revised the proposal. To help the Autocross organizing
committee, I  added a "classification sheet" that can be used to help a
competitor analyze and  properly classify his (or her) street car. It will be
brought to tech with the  car.
Happy  reading!  - Seth Emerson  - Always happy to hear from  racers!