<VV> How a simple electrical problem can mess a trained brain

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Oct 21 21:56:52 EDT 2007

Daniel,
    Congrats on finally finding and fixing the  problem.  Your story points
up the value of adding a VOLTMETER to the  instrument panel.  With that you
could have had sufficient warning that you  weren't charging the battery BEFORE
the problem
completely disabled you.  A similar thing happened to me many years  ago (3+
decades) driving at night when I noticed that the voltmeter I had added  to
the car showed that the charging system, while still charging, was losing
ground to the electrical load on the car.  So I pulled off the highway at  an exit,
found a place to pull safely off the street and found  that the fan belt was
slipping a bit.  All it took was  a quick tightening of the belt and the full
charging voltage was  restored.  But without that voltmeter I probably would
have pulled  down the battery too much for a restart and been stuck at night
looking for a  jump start.
    Frank "gauges are good" Burkhard

In a message dated 10/21/2007 12:55:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,