<VV> BBRT Vs WTBRT

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Mon Oct 22 22:17:55 EDT 2007

Great report,

Warren

-----Original Message-----
From: Smitty Smith <vairologist at verizon.net>
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Sent: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:41 am
Subject: <VV> BBRT Vs WTBRT

Smitty Says:   My friends were asking how the autocross turned out (I have two
of them you know).  It was a beautiful day and lots of great racing iron showed
up along with some beautiful iron from the concours crowd.  Folks looking to get
the Bambauer Award, which is NCs equivlent to the Cole Award.  Spike had been
unjustly and unceremoniously booted up into a competition class, street tires
and all.  Nobody ever said life is fair though so I bolted on a set of race
tires which my BBRT associate member friend had brought down from Richmond.
Hey, if them guys are allowed sticky slicks then they shouldn't mind Spike
wearing gofast tires.  In the pits I had a hard time controling Spike as every
time he got near the BEEF car he raised one leg and expressed himself.  Spike
was wearing his new secret weapon which is a brand new BBRT decal about 14
inches in diameter.  That's got to help in a speed event.
  Whopper Jr was first of the two team cars out on the track making great
roaring sounds as he ripped around the corners and screamed down the straights.
Small children ran and hid at the sight of the great fire belching monster
laying waste to the asphalt.  Spike was somewhat taken aback at the sight but he
stood his ground by the starting gate like the tough mutt he is.  Whopper Jr
established a time to beat and gave Spike a goal to shoot for.  I felt bad that
I, of the decrepit body, slow reflexes and arthuretic hands had to ushure him
around the track under such demanding conditions.  All I could do was try.  So
we went out and beat Jr.s time by just a leetle bit.  Man, that damn car will
hurt you going around corners.  So far so good but Jr wasn't the one I feared.
The Big Whopper of WTBRT.  "The Man" himself was yet to run.  I don't know what
they did to 112 back in the pits but it came thundering out with asphalt melting
underneath and shaking chunks of concrete
 off nearby buildings.  I must take a break here and tell you that Spike never
exhibits that kind of unseemly behavior.  Just a gentle woooosh with a bit of
turbo whine and he is gone.  So the Boss of WTBRT unleashes his monster and
turns in a scorching time which elipses Spikes and Smitty's best by a second.
Oh horrors, now I must face the wrath of the Boss of BBRT.  But all may not be
lost.  My Friend Paul Whelen who has cleaned my clock at autocross for 25 years
has recently had the title of Associate Member of BBRT bestowed on him, and he
is next to drive Spike.  Paul takes Spike for a brisk romp in the sun and when
he comes back it is time for counting the chips and adding up the missed pylons.

It was a great day for racing.  The presence of guys like Warren Leveque and
Dave Clemmons made for some exciting runs.  I probably shouldn't tell you this
but Warren loaned Dave his car for a run.  You all know what happens when a guy
does that