<VV> RE: Exhaust down tube replacement

Cliff tibbitts at qx.net
Thu Oct 25 17:34:20 EDT 2007

I would be one of the last to ever disagree with Craig on anything related
to the Corvair, unless of course I had experienced it myself.  Actually you
can remove the tube with the head in place.  However, as Craig pointed out,
the relief hangs up on the stud.  What you must do is remove the rocker arm
and the cylinder head stud that is closest to the tube in question.  It
still won't be easy, believe me.  But it is possible.

When you put the new one back in, do as others have suggested.  Freeze it.
I coated the end of mine with never-seize, placed it in a Ziploc sandwich
bag and left it in the freezer over night before installing it in the head.

I had to replace one on my 140.  It was a bear, but turned out well.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY