<VV> RE: Exhaust tube replacement

Tony tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Oct 25 21:50:54 EDT 2007

At 02:37 PM 10/25/2007, Craig Nicol wrote:
>I'm really surprised to hear that you can remove an exhaust tube with the
>head in place.  About a month ago I had a '63 Spyder in the shop with a
>loose exhaust tube.  It was completely loose, as in flopping around 1/4".
>As much as I pulled, pried, smacked and otherwise tried, that totally loose
>tube simply wouldn't get past the head stud.  I didn't try releasing the
>head nut- I suppose it's possible that it could deflect some.  I'll have to
>try that next time.

That *is* the trick...  loosening the necessary head stud (and
yanking the pushrod tube) will usually let you squeak an exhaust tube
out, without having to pull the head.

At least the last two that I did with the engine in the car were done
this way, one on a '65 coupe and one on my '60 4-door.    It might
take some finagling but they *will* come out and it's still a lot
less hassle than pulling off a head.

tony..