<VV> Requesting EM help

Bill Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Mon Sep 3 16:52:24 EDT 2007

Bob,

Until 1966 all Corvair Cylinder heads had only two 3/8" bolt holes, the
remainder were 1/4".  Since all heads are identical, except for the
placement of the balance tube outlet, the larger holes were there only for
the mounting of the generator.  Therefore, on the RH side, the 3/8" holes
end up in front of the engine, and we are stuck with 1/4" holes for mounting
the A/C compressor.  The compressor, of course, was quite heavy and tended
to put a lot of stress on these holes, often causing the bolt holes to strip
out.  Thus, in 1966, the heads were redesigned to have only 3/8" holes.

Bill Hubbell