<VV> Intermittent Turn Signal

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 18:07:21 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/21/2007 6:45:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
david.d.iverson at gmail.com writes:

I have a  '65 monza 140 4 spd, which I got in June.  The turning signals
worked  when I got it.  Now, they are intermitten.  Sometimes they don't  work
at all....other times when they work, they blink  rapidly.

Hi David, the turn signals can be frustrating, I know. First a little
tutorial.  The circuits for the turn signals, both front and rear, go into  the
column as one feed wire (via the flasher under the dash. There are then  wires
that exit the column to each of the four filiments in the four corners.  The two
that go to the rear filiments are also used for the brake  lights. There is
also a feed wire from the brake light switch under the  dash. During normal
operation (no brakes on, no turn signals on) the wire that  would feed the power
to the brake light filiments is connected - in the very  center of the turn
signal switch to two outgoing wires - the ones that feed  the rear filiments.
When you step on the brakes, the power is fed through the  switch and the two
rear filiments light up. The turn signal switch is used to  interrupt that side's
brake light feed and replace it with an intermittent feed  from the turn
signal flasher - This feed also send the intermittent signal  to the front turn
filiments and the indicators in the dash. That is so that,  even if you have the
brakes on, the rear turn light still flashes. To flash  properly, all of the
bulbs must be good. The flasher relies on the load of  the bulbs to interrupt
the power feed. A solid on means check all of the  bulbs.

Your problem. Back in the 60's GM used a complex series of springs and
connector posts to perform all this switching inside the switch. Over time,  the
springs and the contacts can wear or be attacked by other parts of the  column
or horn feeds. In addition, light bulbs burning out, contacts both in  bulb
sockets and harness connectors wearing and tarnishing can add up to exceed  the
capability of the system. The turn signal actuator has a tab that sticks  down
into the switch to push the springs back and forth - it can break as well.

First - Are all the bulbs and sockets functional?
Second - Check your brake lights. Do both sides work? They should turn on
independent of the ignition.
Third - Does turning on the turn signal left or right interrupt the brake
light on that side - (turning it off)?
Fourth - What turn lights DO work? Front/rear/indicator on the  dash
If they flash, but too fast or too slow, do all the bulbs do the same  thing?

What all these questions do is narrow down the problem. -  Seth