<VV> Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair

Richard Widman richard at widman.biz
Sun Apr 6 13:03:57 EDT 2008

Here is the first draft of my paper on the selection of the right motor oil
for your Corvair.

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf

This is the first draft of this paper.  I'm sure there will be additional
questions that will arise or points that I haven't explained to the
satisfaction of some readers.  Please send your questions to oil [at]
asboman.com and I will answer them in the next draft.

Introduction

My object in this paper is to explain in common language how to protect your
engine through the selection of the correct oil.  In this explanation I will
be summarizing various SAE Technical Papers with the information pertinent
to this explanation.  For those that are only interested in the short
answer, you can jump to the summary.  I will not tell you which brand to
buy, but what to look for on the label.  I will not repeat word for word
what is in the pages of the American Petroleum Institute, but put it in the
best lay terms I can think of.   Some people will say that there are not
enough graphs and charts, while others will say it is overkill.  I hope to
strike a balance.

Richard Widman

 <http://www.widman.biz> www.widman.biz