<VV> Oil temperature measurement

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Sun Apr 6 20:55:49 EDT 2008

I've seen a number of people mention oil temperatures on VV, but I'm
not sure just what (meaning where) are these temperatures being
measured.  How about it, where are you measuring oil temperature and
what temperatures are you seeing.

I've got a temp sensor in the block, in the thin area down below the
spark coil.  If I'm not mistaken this is the point where the oil
temperature is about the highest -- right at the top of the oil in
the sump where the hot oil of from the bearings, etc., is
deposited.  I'm seeing up to about 250 - 265 during the summer on the
highway.  It does take a while to get there -- at least 15 miles or
perhaps more.

The heads are well deflashed and I've got an Otto Parts oil pan and
valve covers along with an oil pickup that at (or near) the bottom of
the pan.  Otherwise pretty much stock engine.

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair, '66 Corsa turbo.