<VV> Bias vs. radial

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 22 11:06:16 EDT 2008

Pardon me for being skeptical. Sure, I drove Corvairs on bias plies for
years. But after going to radials, my buddy and I have many a time remarked
to each other "how'd we ever drive on those things?" The answer is that we
just didn't know any better. I think that if the Corvair had had radials
from the start, some Corvair accidents would have never happened, and maybe
the Corvair wouldn't have attracted such ambulance chasers as Ralphie.

Bias plies may not be inherently "dangerous," but the improvement in safety
to ANY car is immesurable. I'd compare it to adding safety glass to
pre-safety glass cars, or seat belts to non-belt cars. None of that stuff
may be inherently dangerous (if an accident doesn't happen), but the
improvement to safety (should an accident happen) is worth changing it.

That is why I question the idea of ANY car running bias plies. Certainly if
I had a car that came with bias plies (like a friend's '56 Buick) I'd
investigate putting radials on it. Like the Corvair statement I made above,
how do people drive on those things? YUCK!

-Mark