<VV> valve adjustment-- MY opinion

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Aug 2 00:55:01 EDT 2008

Tim Colson wrote:

 i  feel that most failures of the valve seats can be tracked to  any signs
of past
overheating or valves adjusted a touch tight (as  loose as you can do without
noise  is better.......

Tim,
If I read this correctly you are saying to set the valves as loose as you
can without getting any noise. Is this correct?

If so, may I suggest that this is not wise. Because setting the valves  loose
means backing off on the adjustment nut after finding zero lash instead of
tightening the nut. That is the only way you can set the valves loose. Since
the  internal piston in the lifter is self adjusting to allow for valve train
and  engine expansion/contraction you will be eliminating this feature and will
be  getting excessive clearance and associated noise and wear at some
temperature.

What really is needed it to accurately find the zero lash point and then to
tighten the adjusting nut about 1/2 turn. This is not critical and can
actually  vary from just a slight tightening to a full turn as per some of the shop
manuals. What should be avoided is bottoming the internal piston which will
not  allow correct valve operation and will prevent the lifter from self
adjusting to  the expansion/contraction of the engine and valve train.

Regards,
Bob Helt

Read reviews on AOL Autos.