<VV> Road Statistics - US vs. Australia

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 18 16:28:37 EDT 2008

What about a figure based on miles traveled?  That would seem to me to be a
more meaningful number.

A per capita figure does not tell me a lot.  Is that licensed drivers?  All
citizens regardless of age?  If that, then what is the average family size
and how does it compare to other countries?  What - something else?  How
does the number of vehicles compare and the number of miles of roadway?
What is the nature of the roads - urban VS rural?  Maybe there is just less
to collide with in Australia?  I don't know, but I just don't think a per
capita death (or injury) rate tells the whole story.  But, thanks for
looking it up.

Corvair content - I drove the vert on suburban and rural roads Sunday to
attend the CCE Orphan Auto Picnic.  I understand that Pete Koehler (Detroit
area) was there with a '60 model.  I saw the car but did not see him.  He
left early in order to get back to Detroit or he would certainly have
received the long distance award.  We had roughly 50 Corvairs there and 100+
(probably 150?) "others" (orphans) as well.  Perfect weather.

Later, JR