<VV> Seatbelts

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue Aug 19 09:37:25 EDT 2008

All:  Back in 1963, as a 18 yr old, I installed seat belts in the '58 Chevy
Biscayne I got from my parents.  So you know where my thoughts are on the
subject.

My dad thought ill of the idea, but wore the belts my mom had optioned into
the Dodge wagon they got to replace the Chevy.  This grumbling from my dad
continued for about 10 years, until he opened his eyes one day and found
himself hanging from the belts of their Mercury Marquee wagon in the center
grass of I-55 south of Springfield IL.  How they got there is another story,
but he became a believer in belts, and I was vindicated.

But to drag us back to reality, the accident which precipitated the seatbelt
discussion, which  resulted in the death of one and injury of her mate, was
the result of someone driving drunk.  Yes, the dear wife and mother might
still be with us today if she had at least a seat belt on.  But she didn't.
Whatifs, couldabeens, shouldabeens oughtabeens do not matter much any more
for her.  For her family, what is, is.  Permanently and irrevocably.

For all the discussion about belts in Corvairs, where is the discussion of
drunks in Corvairs?  Or Corvair owners driving other cars drunk?  Yes, I
know in times like this we default to what we can do to "prevent such a
tragedy".  Install belts!!  The how to is important here and now, while it
is on our minds.

But.....

I trust nobody in this group will ever drink and drive again.  Or if you do,
please be so kind to the rest of us to hit something other than another car,
or a kid on a bike, or someone crossing the street on foot. And whatever you
hit, please do so with enough force to kill yourself, so we can add
"terminally" to our description of you as "irresponsible" and "stupid".

Harsh?  Could be.  But don't tell me why you drink and drive.  Tell the
family of the dead lady.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice