<VV> Valve Lash

eamsquared at comcast.net eamsquared at comcast.net
Tue Aug 26 10:05:51 EDT 2008

I have adjusted my valve lash wilh the motor running and have had no problems.
I must admit I did this 30 years ago on my 66 Monza 110 PG but do want to add
that I still have the car and am the original owner with 114,000 miles on the
car.

I learned this technique be watching what the dealer replace the push rod tube
O-rings.  What you need to do is back off on the rocker nut until the valve
train is noisy (end play on push rod).  This way you cannot burn the valves.  I
had the valve cover off and let the oil drip on the floor.  Messy but it works.
Let the engine run until it gets hot and then gradually tighten each rocker a
small amount (about 1/2 turn it think) and continue doing this until the valve
train is quiet and tighten them a bit more (1/4 to 1/2 turn I think).  I have
forgotten the total number of turns required to do this but I think it was about
1 1/2 turns from the noisy end play position).

Erich Meyer - 66 Monza 110

Remember it is better to have the valve train a little noisy as opposed to
tightening the rockers too much