<VV> timing '63 engine

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Aug 31 14:52:05 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/31/2008 11:01:30 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
edmonds01 at bresnan.net writes:

I am  trying to set the timing on my '63 which calls for 8 degree BTDC.
I  am currently without a timing light and hope someone can tell me the
following.  There are 3 marks on the flywheel with the center one  "0".

What car make are you trying to set the timing on? Doesn't sound like a
Corvair.

The Corvair doesn't use the flywheel for timing, just the rear pulley or
harmonic damper. The pulley/damper has only one mark on it, a  notch.  While the
timing scale on the rear housing has the  timing  from 0 to 16  btdc. No
center marks...just 0 to 16.

If you don't have a timing light (why not buy one..they're cheap) use a
small light bulb in series with the points to see when they break.
Regards,
Bob Helt

deal here.