<VV> STATIC timing '63 engine

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Sun Aug 31 16:19:52 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/31/2008 11:01:30 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
edmonds01 at bresnan.net writes:

I am trying to set the timing on my '63 which calls for 8 degree  BTDC.
I am currently without a timing light and hope someone can  tell me the
following.  There are 3 marks on the flywheel with the  center one "0".

What Bob says is absolute... no exceptions we are aware  of!

8 deg?  Here's a link to the proper   Timing  points

_http://members.aol.com/abelink/disdata.jpg_
(http://members.aol.com/abelink/disdata.jpg)

Then as Bob states...  use a test light to  see when  points open   OR

Watch for Spark on #1

 use this handy guide

  Align timing mark on Pulley to desired  initial value

Loosen dist.

Turn KEY  to ON  leave it

At the engine

Pull #1  plugwire  and  insert   spare  plug/  rod /  finger... to tell you
if / when the plug  fires.

Rotate dist.  CW  as far as possible

Now Rotate CCW  slowly.....

Stopping when the light  goes out  OR

The Spark jumps to ground, or you get shocked [ mild jolt]

You are timed!!  tighten dist.  and  restart.

Matt  Nall
All Vairs!
Web Tinyurl.com/3ds7d
somewhere between Sea  Mountain and Coos Bay.  OR.

deal here.