<VV> too much trans fluid causing an ominous knock?

Jedd Hebrink jhebrink at anvilcom.com
Sat Dec 27 15:19:35 EST 2008

Holiday greetings to all you Corvair folks out there.  I have a question for
the group:  I have 66 Monza 110 PG that I rebuilt over the spring and summer
(my daughter's car actually - many of you offered invaluable advice as I
struggled through that process).  After the recommended run in period and
oil changes etc., I started out to deliver the car to my daughter who lives
an hour away.  After 45 minutes of trouble free highway driving, I came to a
stop sign.  As I pulled away, I noticed a loss of power and horrible low end
sound I can best describe as a knock.  After posting questions back then, I
received many helpful suggestions as to the possible causes.

Fast forward to today.  I finally got out to my shop and prepared to pull
the engine and transmission to tear into it again and look for the culprit.
As I disconnected the shift cable from the PG, at least a pint (maybe two)
of trans fluid came rushing out.  This did not seem normal.  I checked the
trans dipstick.  Engine and trans cold, on level ground.  There is still at
least a pint too much fluid showing on the stick.

My question is, could overfilling the transmission cause a low end "knock".
Someone suggested that the flex plate bolts may have been loose, but they
weren't.  Just wondering if too much fluid in the torque converter or tranny
could cause a similar problem?

I will halt my engine removal plans until  I hear back from the group.
Maybe I will get lucky and just need to drain off the excess trans fluid.
By the way, I cannot figure out how the trans got overfilled.  I added fluid
when I put the engine and trans back in last summer, but I was being careful
to check it hot and not overfill it.  I guess I must have, it is too full
now.

Many thanks to all that have offered so much help over the months!
Jedd Hebrink

Checked by AVG.
1:01 PM