<VV> Crankshaft Question?

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Feb 4 06:53:00 EST 2008

There was a time, many, many years ago the high performance Corvair guys with earlies would search for Turbo engine cranks ... they believed those were special forgings ... those kind of guys usually know things the rest of us don't bother with ... they may have been right.  We did see quite a number of earlies come to the junkyard with broken crankshafts, both with the solid pulley and harmonic balancers.  The State of Michigan requires a record of milage shown on the odometer of all cars scrapped and we did notice that Corvairs tended to be very high mileage cars when they finally made it to the last round-up.

How many engines were equipped with the solid pulley?  At one time I thought they came on only some of the base engines.  Recently I gave away most of my old stock ... including a number of engines and found only one solid pulley ... everything else ... early and late, that I salvaged from my buddy's junk yard came with the harmonic balancers.

Ken Pepke
In a message dated 2/3/2008 1:43:33 PM US Mountain Standard Time,