<VV> Corvair Reliablility Queston

Brandes, Guy GBrandes at loebermotors.com
Mon Feb 4 17:32:40 EST 2008

Wow, I think you have been reading all the doom and gloom.  People seem
to write most about this or that breaking down but I guess a lot of
people feel an uneventful trip is of no interest.  I did my round trip
to Detroit and back from Chicago (not 2500 miles but...) and never
missed a beat the whole way.  My wife went with me and we had a great
time.  Now is that boring compared to tearing down an engine in the rain
at night?  It's a great car and not that delicate, just don't drive it
in the salt.

Regards,

Guy Brandes

When I review the questions & answers given on this thread, it gives
pause to the question of the reliability of a Corvair when contemplating
long trips.  Based upon the myriad of Q & A's the  overall inference
quickly leads you to the conclusion that the car is somewhat delicate.
     Obviously, I reliability reference is to cars that have more than
minimal mechanical restoration.
     On the presumption that the mechanics of a car has been attended to
on current basis, what is the likelihood of it completing a 2300 mile
journey??  (Naturally, with a modicum of spare parts) Or am I kidding
myself?
     It seems to me. it the car was engineered well enough than, then
with proper maintenance, the car should perform well on such a trip.  I
you cannot trust the reliability for nothing but short trips --- why
bother with the expense of buying one.
    Chime in with your thoughts. You have more evidence that i. Thanks