<VV> Corvair Reliablility Queston

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Mon Feb 4 17:45:23 EST 2008

Excellent question!  My experience is that a well-maintained Corvair can
be depended upon for long trips.  We drove our '66 convert from
Rochester, MN to the Detroit convention and around the area without
problems.  The same car has been on other similarly long trips with no
problems.

I'm also in the process of resto-modding a '65 coupe that will be a GT
car my wife and I will use for long, cross-country road trips.  Of
course, at 68 I remember when cars weren't nearly as reliable as they
are today, and the idea of a break down doesn't scare me -- in fact it
can be an adventure.

I do carry some tools and a few spare parts (fuel pump and fan belt),
but have never needed either the parts or the tools).  The advantage of
an older car is that you CAN fix many of the problems that might arise.

There are cell phones, AAA, and ordinary common sense that can be used
to deal with a problem that might arise.  The key is to keep cool and
treat any problem as an opportunity for an adventure.  As an engineer, I
tend to think in terms of the worst that could happen.  The worst is
probably something that would completely disable the car and require it
to be shipped home.  I can handle that -- there are transportation
companies, car rental companies, and credit cards.

Could you be faced with an unplanned expense?  Yep, but ask me about our
recent well pump replacement or the broken line from septic tank to
drain field -- both big bucks and totally unexpected.  Personally, I'd
rather face the possibility of an unplanned expense having fun in a
Corvair than sitting at home watching TV.

People today are too worried about "smooth sailing", but the best
sailing weather is taking water into the cockpit in a strong wind.  Get
your car in good shape, build your confidence with shorter trips, and
then go have fun on a long road trip.  You'll be surprised at the
interesting people you'll meet driving a Corvair instead of an SUV.

Dave Keillor