<VV> Corvair Reliablility Queston

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Feb 4 17:51:23 EST 2008

Corvairs average about 43 years old. The types of questions and answers
you see listed here are similar to questions and answers of the owners
of any old cars... it's more a function of the age and the era (60's
cars when new required a much higher level of owner maintenance and
general repair than more modern cars).

So can a well-maintained Corvair make a 2300 mile trip? Sure. Virtually
as reliably as it could have made that trip in 1965. To those of us who
are used to dealing with 50's and 60's cars, that's pretty darn
reliable. For someone who has never owned or driven a vintage car,
that's not very reliable at all... so a lot of your questions depends on
your expectations and abilities.

Compared against other cars of the same vintage, I consider a Corvair to
be more reliable, easier to maintain and repair, and cheaper to restore
and operate. Given the choice between a 2300 mile trip in any 60's car,
a Corvair would be pretty high on my list...

In fact, in the summer of 2006, I sent my non-mechanically inclined wife
and daughter out on a 10,000 mile lap of the US in a Corvair powered
VW... you can read about their experiences here: http://fnader.com/TRIP.htm

Some people would read that and think they had a very successful
essentially troublefree trip while others would think they had a lot of
trouble. If you're one of the former, a well-maintained Corvair would be
fine for you for a 2300 mile trip. if one of the latter, I would
recommend staying with a more modern car.

Bill