<VV> UPDATE RE: Alt (gen) warning light-

Jim Corey jcorey at escapees.com
Sun Feb 10 20:29:31 EST 2008

Problem solved.  Thanks to Bob Helt's book and the shop manual.  Seems like the third time I R&Rd the drive train, I caught the wire from the Alt/Gen indicator light.  When I found the orphan wire, I connected it to the field on the alternator.  This allowed the alternator to produce 14.39v, but the indicator lamp didn't work right.  See orig. post below.  After studying (and combining) the two schematics, I connected the indicator wire (20brn) to # 4 terminal on the regulator, and viola! it worked.  That's the trouble when cars are bastardized, even for positive reasons.  Those who follow must be prepared for an adventure.  I'll now begin to clean up the wiring, and produce an "as-wired" schematic for future reference.

Thanks to all who gave input.

J Corey
'63 Corvair Convertible   '62 Greenie
'64 Coupe   '66 Sedan