<VV> CORSA/Local membership

bub049 at comcast.net bub049 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 14 17:05:09 EST 2008

Tom Connolly said:

The pros for joining Corsa have been covered and I agree with all of them.

One thing I didn't take into consideration is that Corsa provides the insurance
for the local chapter events.  At the risk of insulting some Corvair guys, in my
estimation a local chapter member that gets to take part in local & regional events
without being a member of Corsa is a moocher.  The local chapters could never
afford insurance coverage for an event let alone a funkhana without insurance
buying power of Corsa.

Just my two cents

Tom Connolly
Well said Tom! I have been watching the bantering on this topic with much amusement. This topic comes and goes and will rear it's ugly head again some time in the future. I have been a CORSA member since 1972 and was a Board Member for several years in the 70's. This topic was beat to death back then too.
I  agree with the statement Tom made about those who partake in local events that are covered by CORSA insurance and they do not belong nor do they ever intend to join CORSA. I can see covering guests and the "Corvair curious" with the insurance in hopes of attracting them to join the local and CORSA, but why does CORSA have to provide insurance for people that refuse to support CORSA? Do these free-loaders think this insurance is free? Why do 75 or 80% of the CORSA members have to provide insurance for those that do not want to belong to CORSA? CORSA has financial difficulties. We can't afford to keep giving these free loaders a free ride. This is like going to a church on Sunday and putting nothing in the plate.
Come on people.... If you want to dance, you have to pay the band!!
An option would be adding an insurance surcharge on those who want to participate in local functions but don't want to join CORSA. I'm not talking a big fee, maybe only a couple of bucks that would be sent to CORSA to help pay for the insurance. People, this insurance is not free.
My friend Hank said it most eloquently:
"IF you can afford to own and restore a Corvair,
> IF you can afford to belong to the local chapter and pay their annual dues
> YOU CAN afford to join CORSA---If you say you can't afford it, who's going
> to believe you?"
Thanks for providing a place for this old man to speak his peace. Oh yea, I think this forum is another free benefit of CORSA......

Bob Johnston
Frostbite Falls, MN
CORSA since 72