<VV> What I like about CORSA

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Fri Feb 15 04:23:23 EST 2008

Group, The last time that I became passionate about this
topic I took the extreme step of getting involved in the
CORSA organization as an elected Director. That led to six
years of working with and helping CORSA move along.
However, my first introduction to CORSA and its policies
occurred at the 1979 CORSA Convention in Detroit
(Southfield). I had just finished driving my young family
to Michigan from our then-home base in the Chicagoland
area. Of course we were driving a 1960 Corvair! Upon
checking at the host hotel I was informed that I could not
attend or register or be a part of the activities because
I did not belong to CORSA. Heck, I didn't even know there
was a CORSA. I did belong to the local chapter (CCE) and
that seemed like enough at the time. So we were turned
away without even being given an option to join this thing
called CORSA.

I didn't get mad. I did drive back to Chicago and soon
after joined the National to support my good friend Larry
Claypool as he was trying to get elected to the Board
(Think Chicago; Buy a vote. Get it?). A year later I
followed Larry onto the Board and the rest is, as they
say, history. My agenda once on the Board was to assure
that CORSA did not end up forcing local members to join. I
thought people should join because they wanted to, not
because they "had" to. One of the problems was the
insurance coverage. So the next thing that I worked on
with other members of the Board was to secure a policy
that would not require forced membership. We were
successful and to some extent members are still enjoying
those benefits today.

My point to this post is that we are all different. We
respond differently to situations that we face. My course
of action back then was to work to change the organization
for the benefit of other like-thinking Corvair
enthusiasts. If I am in the minority now and most of you
think forcing everyone to join CORSA is in a good idea
then I will still belong to CORSA as long as it exists.
Why? Because I still like Corvairs and Corvair people. And
in my mind that should be a good enough reason to belong.
- Caveman Pete in Slippery Rock - "Retired" CORSA Board
member