<VV> Clutch issues

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 19:37:24 EST 2008

On my last sand rail, I had a hydraulic actuated clutch.  With no body
in the way it was easy to measure clutch rod travel.  Mine went from
disengaged to tire spinning action (GRIN) in .50 inch.  If you need more
than a half inch travel something is wrong.  Maybe a late clutch cover
on an early flywheel or early flat finger on a late stepped flywheel or
somebody put the wrong thickness lining on the disc or you put the disc
in backwards.  I have had several vehicles that were hard to get into
first and reverse and the problem on both was a new pilot bearing that
was too tight on the input shaft.  Maybe the tolerances were wrong or I
upset a burr on the I.D. when pounding into place.  The input shaft
should spin easily in the bushing.  If it doesn't, ream it out bigger!
Clark Hartzel