<VV> HID headlight converstion kit

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 11:05:43 EST 2008

None of these are worth it. I appreciate the G Whiz factor of HID, but ALL
of these are inferior, optically, to DOT headlights, and CLEARLY inferior to E
code headlights. Adding HID bulbs to a replaceable bulb headlight will throw
light where it doesn't belong, blinding on coming drivers even on low beam.
The  optics simply aren't designed for HID bulbs. In other words, DON'T DO IT!

To the best of my knowledge, NO ONE makes an acceptable drop in  replacement
for sealed beams.

However, if you're willing to do some work, consider retrofitting these
modules:

_http://www.rallylights.com/hella/90mm_modules.asp_
(http://www.rallylights.com/hella/90mm_modules.asp)
Scroll down for the HID versions. These are E code, are COMPLETELY
engineeredto be HID headlights, and work very well.

If you want REALLY decent headlights, regardless of the light source,  here's
the best of the best in E code:

_http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/csr.html_
(http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/csr.html)

If you want something a tad more conventional, but also excellent at lower
cost:

_http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html_
(http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html)
Scroll down here as well.

At the end of the day, you REALLY need to ask yourself, is the view worth
the climb? I've seen a BMW with the Cibie CSR headlights, and let me tell you,
even thought they are halogen, they beat ANY HID headlight I have EVER seen,
hands down, on performance. VERY bright, the low beam light ONLY goes on  the
road (when properly aimed, and no dead bodies in the trunk), and the high
beams REALLY go down the road. And if that's not enough, replace the 55W bulbs
with 100W bulbs.

And, PLEASE, use relays! It'd be a shame to spend all this money on
headlights to cripple their performance with all the resistance of the stock  wiring.

In a message dated 2/21/2008 10:47:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,