<VV> Porsches & Big HP

james rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Sun Jan 6 00:04:21 EST 2008

All:  I'm not sure of the sequence or time line (I could check my files, but
what is the point?), but Porsche began in the early to mid 70's the journey
to Big Power with water cooled heads, individual fuel injectors,
intercoolers and dual turbo's.  And they near doubled engine displacement in
the process.

Last time I checked, the Subar 6 cyl was about the same displacement as the
Corvair, but has OH cam(s) and is water cooled.

I do not think there are many high HP per CID air-cooled car engines because
of the cooling problem.  The largest air cooled car I can think of with Big
HP was the 1973 Penske Porsche 917-30K Can-Am car at about 4.5 to 5 liters
with fuel injection and a very complex system of pop off valves and waste
gates. But it had the best of high octane fuels and only had to live for two
hours or so.  It is reported to have spiked at 1200HP on the dyno on
occasion....without intercoolers or water cooled heads.

The car Arend refers to probably does not come with a factory warranty
either.  Owners of them probably have more dollars than sense or talent.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice