<VV> Corvair Article

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 10:36:42 EST 2008

<I have written my first online article spotlighting the Corvair. Please take
a minute to read it and tell me what you think.
*snip*
scroll through the articles and you will see one titled Group Red...please,
read them all!

_http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/128389/beth_inman.html_
(http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/128389/beth_inman.html)

You are to be commended for an entertaining article and an excellent effort
to elevate awareness and understanding of our favorite car.  However, the
following statement is somewhat inaccurate.

<Years ago, a man by the name of Ralph Nader (yes, he is the guy that wanted
to be President) trashed the Corvair with big stories about the _car_
(http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/522815/theme/1390/car_talk.html)  being
unsafe. This prompted the maker to make some changes to the vehicle. The 1965
Monza was the result of those changes.>

"Unsafe At Any Speed" was published in the fall of 1965, after the 1965 model
had already been retired and the 1966 models were already in the showroom.
So, the changes inherent in the 1965 Corvair could not have been in response to
anything Ralph Nader said in "Unsafe At Any Speed."

Also, you said the following:

<The early models actually did have some issues that made them unsafe,>

While I do not wish personally to argue this point with you I would like to
point out that the 1960-1963 Corvairs were the subject of that oft-mentioned
(by us Corvair folks) independent, government financed study that found that the
safety of their handling characteristics were at least as safe as other
contemporary vehicles.

~Bill Stanley