<VV> Cam gear

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Fri Jan 18 15:23:23 EST 2008

Message: 12
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:44:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Kirk Johnson <kjohnson2082 at yahoo.com>
Subject: <VV> no oil to cam gear

I stripped a cam gear. I bought a rebuild kit from a well known vendor,
ressembled and stripped the cam gear again.  What would cause the cam
gear to NOT get oil.  The heads were machine block looks good. help!

The cam gear on a Corvair is laying in oil!  No way can it not get
lubricated unless you forgot to put oil in the engine!
Are you stripping the teeth off or spinning the shaft inside the gear?
Look for burrs on the crank gear, bolts too long on the flywheel.
Remember the flywheel bolts are a thru thread so if you use a longer
bolt than stock it can hit the gear teeth.  If you are running a
Powerglide, the bolts are shorter yet.  Your problem is not lubrication!

Clark Hartzel