<VV> Cam gear

Tony tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Jan 18 16:05:27 EST 2008

At 03:23 PM 1/18/2008, Clark Hartzel wrote:
>Message: 12
>Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:44:59 -0800 (PST)
>From: Kirk Johnson <kjohnson2082 at yahoo.com>
>Subject: <VV> no oil to cam gear
>
>I stripped a cam gear. I bought a rebuild kit from a well known vendor,
>ressembled and stripped the cam gear again.  What would cause the cam
>gear to NOT get oil.  The heads were machine block looks good. help!
>
>The cam gear on a Corvair is laying in oil!  No way can it not get
>lubricated unless you forgot to put oil in the engine!
>Are you stripping the teeth off or spinning the shaft inside the gear?
>Look for burrs on the crank gear, bolts too long on the flywheel.
>Remember the flywheel bolts are a thru thread so if you use a longer
>bolt than stock it can hit the gear teeth.  If you are running a
>Powerglide, the bolts are shorter yet.  Your problem is not lubrication!

Maybe he should check the crank gear for issues.

I saw an engine that ate up a cam gear because there was debris
crammed in between the teeth of the crank gear.   If there's any sort
of abrasive crud in the bottom of the pan, it may well sooner or
later find itself being picked up by the cam gear and caught between
it and the crank gear.

In the case of the above mentioned engine, it appeared that a chip of
aluminum had cracked off the bottom of a piston skirt, and found its
way in between the two gears and it got eaten and spit out, eaten
again etc which made a mess of the cam gear.  The steel crank gear
looked fine once the aluminum "mud" was carved from between its teeth.

tony..