<VV> re : rich exhaust fumes & more

Mark Foltarz Foltarz at rocketmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:42:06 EST 2008

Group,

   I think I have a handle on what is going on with my 110 and the fouled plugs on the driver side.

   There is no excess fuel dripping down  the venturi, rather, the idle screw was way out. About 4 turns. I turned it back in to about 1 1/4 turn.

   However, the fun with the carbs is not quite over.

  I believe the idle circuit on the passenger carb is definately no working.

  I arrived at this conclusion by following several clues.

  First, the left side of the engine was clealy warmer. I was idling the engine for a while making ajustments. I noticed the left felt warmer and indeed the air flap on the driver side was open about a 1/4 way.
While the passenger side was shut. And in fact the  choke was partially closed.

  I put my hand over the right carb - completly blocking the air flow into it.  The motor not only continued to run - it ran better !

 The right carb's inability to idle was just a vacuum leak  as far as the left carb was concerned,

 But  when the throttle is advanced everything works, lots of power etc . And  both sides heat up uniformally.

 I confirmed this with the WWII surplus dual head temp guage installed during the o ring replacement job.

At idle the left side was warmer than the right, even though that was the side that was fouling the plugs,

Live and learn.

So, anyone got any advice on cleaning and restoring the idle circuit on this Rochester HV carb?

Thanks

Mark

Darn small world - even smaller when it comes to things Corvair.