<VV> Flushing brake lines and fluid recommendations

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 4 00:25:44 EDT 2008

I just finished rebuilding the drivers side front cylinder and
putting the new shoes on today.  I want to flush the lines before
adding new fluid.  I just had what could have developed into a
potentially bad experience while replacing the brake hose on the
driver's rear as the flare nut from the metal line got distorted in
the removal process and was a BEAR to reconnect.  So...I would prefer
not disconnecting this hose at the brake line, but I would be willing
to try it at the wheel connection if it wasn't advisable to flush the
cylinders during the process.  If it is advisable to flush them, then
I'll go ahead and replace the passenger side hose before flushing.  I
understand that alcohol is the preferred flushing agent (what I don't
know is if that would be ethyl or isopropyl).  Then I suspect that I
would want to blow out the lines with compressed air (or do I have
those procedures reversed).  After those processes are through is, I
suspect, when the new fluid should be added.  I will need to complete
the process (including drying out the lines) and bleeding the brakes
before Saturday afternoon as I want to take the car to the annual
NTCA (Corvair) picnic.  I plan on working tonight (early this
morning) on replacing the rear passenger hose.  Please respond ASAP.
What is the best fluid to use that will inhibit rust, but not require
a complete replacement of all parts (remember, except for the lines,
the major parts only have about 4K on them)? I'm not looking for "set
and forget", I have no problem with bleeding the system every couple
of years when necessary, nor will I need extreme temps as this is a
family sport-about, but I do want to be as proactive as possible to
reduce the affects of internal rust until I can afford to replace
everything and install silicone fluid.
Thoughts?

Remember, I'm a  teacher by profession and I'm learning to be a
Corvair owner / maintainer through your good advise and my seat of
the pants.

Stephen U

P.S. for those who have helped me with the idle /mpg issue, I will be
RE-addressing that issue (rebalancing, retiming, re-checking for
vacuum leaks, and trying a couple of tricks to remove any dirt that
may be causing the problem) as soon as I get the brakes done so that
I can drive the car.