<VV> Yukon mystery solved - NO Corvair

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 8 21:30:36 EDT 2008

I cringe when I hear the absurdness of the cures for GM's total
indifference for owner problems with what are obviously
flaws in their engineering designs or quality control. Yes don't let
your vehicle run out of gasoline with an electric fuel pump
but having to keep 8-10 gallons in the tank.............. :-( Screw
the public and God help the women owners of their products.
       My service writer buddy recently helped me solve a problem on
my 2003 Envoy. It was how to adjust the emergency brakes.
GM wanted $300 to do the job if it was just an adjustment with no
parts involved. To adjust an emergency BRAKE .. give us a break
( pun intended )
       Mind you this was just after I had paid for repairs after only
12000 miles that involved ignition switch and transmission problems.
The first repairs were done at 35,986 miles and under warranty.The
second were done 12,300 miles after the first at 48,284 and of course
almost exactly two years after the first and 12 months after the
dealer warranty ran out because I don't drive enough.

Chuck Armer
///////////////////////////////////////
At 06:02 PM 7/8/2008, you wrote:
>The final fix for my daughter's Yukon which kept shutting off was to
>replace the fuel pump. The dealer could not determine the cause in
>their shop and had to drive it with a computer hooked to it for
>about an hour. Their repair estimate was right at $1000. Our actual
>repair cost was under $150 including the $78 we paid to have them
>tell us the fault. Gas tank was removed and replaced in under 3
>hours. I found a pump/sender unit with under 8k miles on ebay for
>$30 (retail over $400). Warning for other owners- this is the 2nd
>Suburban/Yukon they have owned in the past few years and the THIRD
>fuel pump, all with under 75K miles. Service manager's advise -
>never let the vehicle run with less than 1/4 tank of gas - it would
>be nice to put that in the owner's manual..:-), and might be of
>value to those with in tank pumps in their Corvairs?
>Grant

CORSA Tri-membership Chairman
CORSA Member
Corvanatics Member