<VV> PG rebuilding parts, video, and tips

Keith Hammett keith.hammett at stainlessfab.com
Mon Jul 14 10:30:26 EDT 2008

It is getting to be more and more evident that I will have to rebuild the PG on my rampside.  I have a slipping issue (kind of like a chattering clutch on a manual) on take off.  Once you are moving it is fine.  So here are the questions.

#1  I thought I saw/heard about a video on rebuilding the PG, but I now can not find that source.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Anybody care to comment on the video (i.e. is it a got to have before doing, quality, etc.)?

#2  I have seen the ad in the Communiqué for the rebuild kit including exchange band.  Is this a good source or am I better to order from Major Vendor.  Do I need anything else besides what is offered in this ad?

#3  Any tips or suggestions for a first time into a PG?  I did remove the pan and adjust the manual shift valve after cable replacement (kind of like staying at a Holiday Inn lol).

#4  I have the '61 shop manual w/ '62 supplement any other sources that I need to do this?

#5  I know that there was a difference between the early (145 cid) and late (164 cid) PG transmissions.  I have a '65 110hp engine coupled to an early FC PG.  What if any modifications do I need to make while I have the PG torn down or will I be good the way it is?  I think I read this in the PG tips that Corvanatics puts out.

#6 Anything I forgot, see tip #3.

I just started thinking about this at work this a.m. and wanted to get some opinions going.  Thanks for any input that you have.

Keith Hammett

'62 Rampside

"65 Monzavert (looking for body shop near Willard, Mo)