<VV> Installing Shift Cable Tip

tony.underwood at cox.net tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Jul 21 13:03:13 EDT 2008

---- PatioMatt at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/21/2008 7:22:00 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> vairologist at verizon.net writes:
>
> Smitty Says:  What is this nonsense of removing the pan and/or  extending the
> ball end by putting the selector in low.  There is a  perfectly good method
> of installing the cable, in the shop manual, that  works.  Makes me think some
> of you are trying to be smarter than the  mechanical device you are working
> on.  That ain't gonna  happen.
>
> Smitty.. those books were written in the 60's for 60's Mechanics....most  of
> these guys are not one of them!
>
> I'm constantly reminded....I've played with these cars / engines for over  45
> years....and most have never touched ANY car or Lawnmower before getting
> their Vairs...

Humm...  before I ever read the SM re: cable replacement, I'd always just taken the old one out and put the replacement cable back in.   I looked at the business end of the cable, pondered how it did what it did, and just did it.

Once I was sloppy, pushed the select lever the wrong way and got it into the wrong gear etc (same way a lot of others have done, doubtless) and I simply took it back out and fished the cable around until I "hooked" it into place correctly and then went on down the road.

It's not rocket science.

tony..