<VV> Carb repair update

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 23 10:49:55 EDT 2008

I reinstalled the driver's side carb (the one that had been leaking
gas though the venturi) and reconnected everything.  I then balanced
the carbs using the '65 manual method.  The pressure regulator is set
at 3 1/2 lbs.  I turned on the new electric pump and let it run for
about five minutes to check for gas leaks.  All was normal.  I
started the car and it started and ran, but acted like the idle was
set too low.  I used my hand at the cross over to increase the gas.
It ran like that for about a minute at about 1200-1500 rpm.  I tried
to gradually decrease the throttle to see if it would idle.  It
died.  When I tried to restart, it would turn over, but it wouldn't
stay running.  I examined the venturi clusters to see if it had
developed another leak.  The left side seemed dry and the right moist
in the barrels.  I then pushed the throttle at the cross over with
the engine off but the pump running to see if it was pumping gas.  I
don't see any gas in the left and a vapor cloud appears in the right.
And now...???

Stephen "carb repair best not left to rookies working 'alone' " Upham