<VV> Convertables & autocross

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 2 22:30:38 EDT 2008

Dave,  If it is a "parking lot" autocross, the chances are you can run a
stock vert with the top down and lap belts only.  Speeds are supposedly not
going to exceed about 50 mph.  You'll need an approved helmet, remove wheel
covers and empty the car of anything loose and be sure the battery is
properly secured.  That is pretty typically the scenario - of course every
group may have a slight twist on these items.  They may do a hard-harder
test and likely check wheel bearings for no wobble during tech inspection.
Be sure to inflate your tires to about 40psi all the way around.  You can do
that with a pump that plugs into the lighter socket at the even.  Just be
sure to leave the engine running while doing it since it gets embarrassing
to have to ask for a push after you just killed the battery - Ah...
experience!

If it is a "road race" of some type - where speeds will typically be a bit
(goodly amount?) higher, not only will you need the safety harness - but a
roll bar as well.

Later, JR