<VV> Group # for 67 Coupe + personal experience

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sat Jun 7 18:54:16 EDT 2008

Mike asked:
I need a new battery, and I'm trying to find an equivalent Optima (perhaps
deep cycle) for my 67 coupe. Also, the stock group # escapes me (and the
group #  is not called out in the shop manual)... can anyone help out with
the numbers?

Craig replies:
My '66 has a Optima 75/25 DT. Looking at the Optima specs, it looks to me
like ANY of the four larger ones would fit.  My '67 had the same 75/25
battery too. My only warning (that may not apply to the deep cycle) is to
keep them on a tender. I've lost Optimas when I let them get completely
discharged.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_edge/technical_specs.php

The original battery was a 22F or a 24, the 24 requiring longer cables
'cause the terminals are toward the back portion of the battery top. The
common replacement that fits cars that came with either the 22F or the 24,
is a 24F.  The dual terminal Optima like I have has centered terminals so
they sorta fit 'em all.  One other note: I had to notch the battery
hold-down clamp in order to clear the bulge for the center cell.
Craig Nicol