<VV> Steering Box Bolt Problems

Mike Kost vairmike at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 8 09:39:30 EDT 2008

I am having problems with broken bolts on the steering box on my `68. My
wife was driving the car when she felt a pop and had very loose
steering. When I looked the lower rear bolt holding the box to the frame
had broken. I didn't think too much about it until I went to the
basement to dig out another `68 box and found it had a bolt broken off
in the same hole. I carefully drilled out the bolt, cleaned the threads,
and went to put it back on the car. As I was snugging up the bolts I
broke off another one in the same hole. Has anyone else had this
problem? Are the bolts grade 8 ore something else? The head is strange
without the typical grade markings. Should I go to the hardware store
and get grade 8 bolts or are these bolts special and need to be bought
from our vendors?

Mike Kost