<VV> Spike Part 4

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon Jun 23 11:20:22 EDT 2008

Smitty Says:   The engine is back together and the TNXL is attached.  Most sheet metal is on.  I may be sorry later that I didn't delay a few days and wait for a hotter cam but at my age you just don't put things off to do later if you feel good enough to do it today.  I was looking at the "piston of many parts" and wondering what it failed from.  There are no indications of detonation on it or in the cyl head.  The ring land just under the top land and the one between the middle ring and oil ring broke out for a length of about two inches.  The rings obviously are no good now but did not appear to be damaged in any way.  I never ran ridiculous boost but always kept it under 13 pounds with the waste gate and Safeguard.  I really don't remember what kind of pistons they were.  There is a big G with a small N inside it, inside the piston.
  I know some of you don't understand my racing philosophy but that's alright.  I am only going to have fun and beat some of the "also rans" that think of themselves as racers. ggg.  I gave up the philosophy of "screw the cost, I want to be # 1, sometime around 1951.