<VV> Another YH problem solved

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 24 08:59:14 EDT 2008

For you leaking Carter YH owners, I think I have found at final solution. I have been working with a couple of guys who restore boats and Nash vehicles. While a Nash has a vacuum line connected to the venturi of its YH's to mask some of the leakage, it is a very bad thing in a marine engine (and since the carbs have to operate at an extreme angle, it is more difficult to fix). We found that sealing the throttle shaft and installing a fuel pressure regulator helps a great deal, but did not always solve the problem completely (even new shafts and bushings did not always do it). I developed a shaft sealing kit, just for this application, as a result. I estimate that a seal kit and pressure regulator solves about 75% of the cases, but sometimes the pressure has to be reduced so low that there is a problem on top end performance. So, we started trying different float levels, jetting, and inlet seat designs. This has been a year-long project. The Grose Jet inlet seat (ball bearings) helped a lot, but there were still a very few failures. But just recently I found a newer design after market inlet assembly that finally seems to work. (We discovered it on an old MG). We were even able to set the float higher than stock, remove the pressure regulator, and still have no fuel drips! So, if you have what you think is a lost cause leaky YH, just drop me a note for the possible final solution. These things are not cheap (but no worse than a Grose Jet), but are probably free when considering the loss and cost of fuel today. Hope this helps someone. Grant Young, Wolf Enterprises