<VV> Spring Loaded Pully

james rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Sun Jun 29 10:16:36 EDT 2008

All:  Made it home last night from Ventura, but 2 hours late due to a
thunderstorm.  Thanks to all the people who made the convention happen.
Well done.  Now I can scratch "visit southern California" off my list of
things to do.  Good to see old friends and meet so new ones.

Since I haven't read VV in over a week, don't know if there has been
additional discussion on the topic of spring loaded pulley.  If this is old
news, just forgive me.  I'm going to see our now 4 day old grandson today,
so I probably won't get thru the VV posting till mid-week.

I do not know who gets the credit for inventing the spring loaded pulley.
It maybe Zora Duntov, as he was the Corvair team manager at the Dec 1959
sedan race before the USGP at Sebring.  This was only the second time
Corvairs were raced on a road course so far as history records.  There is a
picture in HR or MT's event coverage of the instillation, if you carefully
at the itty-bitty pictures.

If you are not doing high rpm up and downshifts, you don't need a spring
loaded pulley.  Those who do, do.

Warren's set up runs the fan at half engine speed which helps keep the belt
on.  Seth appeared to have Warren's pulley on his car.  I didn't notice if
they also uses CU's spring.  I can check my pictures this next week if
anybody cares.

There are several to choose from, but the CU is the tidiest.  Lon Wall said
he was picking some up from his supplier on his way home from Ventura.
There were some issues or something with his suppliers delivery schedule.
I'm ordering one.

Mark Wright, who had FTD at Ventura's autocross, has one of Lon's devices,
with an additional horizontal spring to boot.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice

Message: 2